Friday, February 22, 2008

Proposing to my love -Part 2

We left The Melting Pot and I told Brooke I wanted to try something new as we headed to the car. I never typically tell her what we are going to do when I plan a big date so she is used to it. All I tell her is what she needs to bring and what to wear. We drove around the streets downtown in order to disorient her with her surroundings. She is one to rarely know where she is with her navigation skills and I used this to my advantage on this night. I parked on this street downtown after driving around for about 10 minutes. I parked and told her we need to walk from here. As we took off down the sidewalk, I made a left in between some buildings commenting on how I thought we could cut through here. We walked across the east end of the Salt Lake L.D.S. Temple toward the Reflection Pond. My heart started to pound as we grew nearer to what only I knew was about to happen. I said to her, “Lets take a picture here.” Some sister missionaries happened to be walking by at the late hour and Brooke suggested they should take the picture of both of us. They kindly took the picture and started to walk away. I took the camera and told her I wanted to take a picture of her and instructed her to stand on the edge of the short pond wall. She stepped up on to the wall and I traded the camera in my hand for the ring box in my coat pocket. As soon as she turned around I knelt down on one knee. I had planned for several days what I would try and say and thought I would be able to pull this off with ease. All thought in my brain seamed to cease at that moment. I could not remember basically anything for that small moment in time with my heart rate pumping at maximum capability. Then I realized I needed to kick it in gear and I started to talk. I did OK saying some of my thoughts and feelings that I wanted to say. I asked her to take my name, be my wife, and marry me for time and eternity. She was in total shock and kind of mumbled out “Is this really…” and I started to nod my head. Tears started to pour form both of our cheeks as she jumped off the wall in to my arms and we spun around, kissing, her in my arms; like you would see as a perfect ending in one of those love movies. She popped her head back and said, “Let me see the ring,” with excitement in her voice. I still had the box in my hand. I responded, “you need to answer me first you never said anything.” She said, “Yes, yes, of course.” We stayed there holding each other close looking in to each other’s eyes slowly taking in all the excitement and try to start to grasp what just happened. I had other things planned for that night, but we did not do any of it. We drove around downtown for about 30 minutes then decided we had enough and just wanted to go home and play video games together. On the way home we called our parents and siblings letting them know the good news. We have now planned our wedding to take place 6/7/08 in the Salt Lake Temple right where we first officially committed to each other to spend the rest of our lives together.

1 comment:

Shana said...

I'm happy for you two. Congratulations! That's a great engagement story.