Thursday, February 21, 2008

Proposing to my love -part 1

I have finally done it. I am going to bite the dust as they say. I proposed to my girlfriend of over two years. To my skeptic friends who never thought I would do it, ha, you were wrong. To my friends that thought it was going to happen sooner or later, yes it did. I am so, so excited. I am marrying the love of my life, the girl of my dreams, and my soul mate. I love her with all my heart. She is amazing and every moment I spend at her side is never long enough. Yeh, all you guys think I am cheesy at this moment and maybe I am guilty of that. So what? I just don’t really care what most people think of me I have never really been one to care that much about those sort of things.
To get in to the story, I will tell you about the night I asked my fiancĂ© to marry me. It was Valentine’s Day 2008. I had planned an evening of potential cool activities and nice dinner planed ahead with reservations made at multiple restaurants just in case some plans went south. I had planned this day to be the one I asked Brooke to be my wife since the beginning of December. I wanted it to be as perfect as possible. It was not possible to do exactly what I wanted to do because we are both full time students and Valentine’s Day was on a Thursday. When all of your classes are on Tuesday and Thursday, it makes those days very busy and difficult to miss or schedule around. Back in December I had ordered the construction of a custom made engagement ring. Brooke and I had looked at a few places and I had an idea of what she liked. I did not worry too much because our taste is very similar in a lot of things. This gave me the confidence to follow my own idea and get the ring made exactly how I wanted the design. I am somewhat of a perfectionist in certain areas of my life (most things besides cleaning and organizing). I ordered the ring and the company said that it would take four to six weeks to complete it. After patiently waiting I did not get the ring until two weeks before the big day. The dilemma was that I ordered a ring without a stone. I needed to see the ring to get the stone because it has a fairly specific placement to fit in. It added a little bit of stress to the whole situation, but it worked out. After waiting for all of this to come together, the ring did not get fit with the stone by the required date so I went to Wal-Mart and bought a temporary ring to ask with. After class ended that afternoon we headed out to Salt Lake to have diner at a restaurant called The Melting Pot. We had always talked about eating here, but never went because it is too expensive. This was a good of night as any to justify the splurge. It was perfect; we had the front corner table in the restaurant that had windows on two sides looking down Main Street in downtown Salt Lake. It was a four-course meal starting with a cheese dip, followed by salad, then the main course, ending with a delicious dessert. The total bill was $160 and if I never pay that again for a meal for the rest of my life I will be content. Dinner was finished off with a picture taken by the waiter that was attached to the menu and a rose for any girl that came to eat there that night.

No comments: